11.10.2010

On Trials.

I get emails from the Church throughout the week called "Daily Gems." All it is is a short quote from a Church leader.
These are a few of the quotes I've gotten lately.
"As we pass through the trials of life, let us keep an eternal perspective, let us not complain, let us become even more prayerful, let us serve others, and let us forgive one another. As we do this, 'all things [will] work together for good to [us] that love God' (Romans 8:28)."
{James B. Martino, "All Things Work Toge...ther for Good," Ensign, May 2010, 103}
"Turn to the Lord. Exercise all of the faith you have in Him. Let Him share your burden. Allow His grace to lighten your load."
{Donald L. Hallstrom, "Turn to the Lord," Ensign, May 2010, 80}
"Our Heavenly Father, who loves us completely and perfectly, permits us to have experiences that will allow us to develop the traits and attributes we need to become more and more Christlike. . . . As we understand this doctrine, we gain greater assurance of our Father's love."
{James B. Martino, "All Things Work Together for Good," Ensign, May 2010, 101}
"We will each face times of difficulty, and the question is not when we will face them but how we will face them."
{James B. Martino, "All Things Work Together for Good," Ensign, May 2010, 101}
"In the most difficult circumstances of life, there is often only one source of peace. The Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ, extends His grace with the invitation, 'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest' (Matthew 11:28)."
{Donald L. Hallstrom, "Turn to the Lord," Ensign, May 2010, 78}
"Our understanding of and faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ will provide strength and capacity needed for a successful life."
{Richard G. Scott, "He Lives! All Glory to His Name!" Ensign, May 2010, 77}
These are just a few of the quotes I've gotten, but I've noticed a trend in topic for several of the emails.
A good chunk of them are about trials, about holding your head high in the midst of adversity, about turning to Lord when faced with challenges.
Funny how little things like that come at just the time you need them.
This year has been a rough one.
But I can definitely say that I'm walking out of it with a lot more knowledge and understanding and hope than I had this time last year.
Many trials have come, and life has not been too easy.
(I think that I'm speaking for everyone here).
In a funny way, I'm grateful to have been through what I've been through.
If I hadn't had to face certain experiences, it could have been a long while before I really realized the following things:
{there is light at the end of the tunnel}
Life is hard. Like, really. It's hard.
It's easy to feel lost and confused and alone.
It's easy to forget who you are and what you know.
It's easy to want to throw in the towel and just give up.
"Pressing forward" is tough.
Sometimes, it doesn't feel worth it.
But it is.
In the words of Michael McLean, "Hold on, the Light will come."
Better days will come.
And I believe that the more rough days you have, the better the better days will be.
{trust in the Lord}
Remember that He sees the bigger picture.
Remember that there's a reason behind a trial.
There is something to learn.
I know that's cliche, but it's true.
Sometimes it's a matter of wanting to learn from trials or not.
You're much better off trying to find and improve something than you are wallowing in depression.
Been there, tried that.
{it's ok to ask for help}
Talk to your friends.
Talk to your parents.
Talk to your bishop.
Helping you is their job.
Really.
Why do you think the Lord has placed certain people in your life?
To give you somewhere (besides Him) to pull strength, courage, and comfort from.
I'm the kind of person that likes to do things on my own.
I hate asking for help.
I hate it.
Oftentimes, no matter how stressed out I am, I cannot bring myself to ask anyone for help because I want to prove to myself that I can do it all on my own or something.
This year, I've realized that idea doesn't always work.
You can't do it alone. You just can't.
You need help, and guess what? Hard things are easier when you have help.
Don't be too stubborn or prideful (like me) for way too long and think that you can sprint through life's trials on your own.
It's not supposed to be like that.
Ask for help, pray for help, and you will be happy you did because help will come.
{rely on the Lord}
Pour your heart out to the Lord.
He knows what you're going through.
Pray harder than you ever have before and see what happens.
Remember that Christ is your Savior.
He can and will save you from the depths of your sorrow.
Let Him.
There's a song on the CD, Nashville Tribute to the Prophet, I believe, that has some of my favorite lyrics.
"From the Garden to the Cross, He walked a mile in my shoes."
Remember that as you learn to fully rely on Him.
{the Atonement is not just for sinners}
The Atonement can heal heartbreak.
It can heal wounds that have been open for far too long.
It can heal you completely, and if you let it, it will change your life.
Believe in the power of the Atonement.
Believe that Christ suffered for you.
Because, really, He did.
{you will be better because of this}
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?
I believe it.
No pain, no gain?
Mhmm.
I have noticed a huge difference in the person I was before my bout with trials this year and the person I am now.
I can see myself becoming the woman I want to be.
The change is real and the difference is huge.
I can definitely see how the Lord uses trials and hardships to shape us, to mold us into who He knows we are and who we can be.
Let the change happen, and it will.
And soon, you will be awesome.
{happiness is a choice}
It's much easier to be happy than it is to be sad.
It's more fun to be happy than it is to be sad.
It's healthier to be happy that it is to be sad.
So why choose to be sad?
Yes, crappy things happen.
Yes, being sad or upset for a little while is expected and normal.
But moping around for days at a time is not going to do you any good.
I would say that tragedy is the only exception to this rule.
If you want to be happy, you have to choose to be happy, despite all the not-so-happy things that are happening in your life.
There is always something to be happy about, always.
You just have to find it.
{the Lord isn't going to stop loving you}
No matter how worthless and helpless and small you feel, the Lord's love for you will never end.
He loves you more than you know, more than you will ever know.
Pray to feel His love.
Especially when you're having the hardest time.
Pray for it even if you don't believe it or if you don't feel it.
He loves you. He loves you.
And that...will never change.
Trials are real, but so is the Atonement.
Heavenly Father's love for you is real.
The power of the priesthood is real.
Pray is real.
I know it.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks for your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, that was an amazing post! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you too! We definitely need to make plans to play once school is over because until then, I (probably you too) will be running like a mad woman to the finish line.
    P.S. I need an invite to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!